jueves, 22 de enero de 2015

Coco Vandeweghe into 3 round of the Australian Open 2015. Samantha Stosur out.


Her hopes were so high. Sam Stosur, Australia’s No.1, had really, truly believed that this year at Melbourne Park might be different. “I would love to do well here,” Stosur had said.



“I guess having the results I've had in other Slams, I proved to myself that I can go deep in these tournaments and play well and beat a lot of the best players in the world. So I think that's obviously a good thing to know.” Sadly, it failed to be the case again in Melbourne on Thursday night, Stosur falling to rising American Coco Vandeweghe 6-4 6-4 in the second round.
With Australian hopes pinned on their No.1 as the last local woman standing, the way Stosur had executed in her first-round win against Monica Niculescu suggested that 2015 might finally be the year that her sentiments would come true at home. But the big-hitting Vandeweghe, who has made a meteoric rise in the past 12 months, had other ideas. Her way of playing is to reel off winners, many on serve, the rest on forehand and backhand. Stosur tried to move her around to disrupt her rhythm, but just couldn’t find an inroad. At 2-2 in the first set, Vandeweghe broke the Stosur kick serve. And although the Aussie pushed her to serve it out, she didn’t blink. 
 The second set was practically a carbon copy, same scoreline, just a minute longer. Vandeweghe broke again in the fifth game, and, although Stosur gritted her way to two more service holds, was not given any way through.



“This is my first time on Rod Laver Arena, to play against Sam, I couldn’t ask for a better intro,” Vandeweghe said afterwards. 
“I’m sorry to beat a hometown favourite.” Through to the third round of a Grand Slam for the first time, she will next have to meet fellow American Madison Brengle, also experiencing a purple patch in form having made the final in Hobart last week. 
 “I’ve put in the hard work, made some improvements. My goal was to make third round in a Grand Slam this year, so I’ve achieved that,” Vandeweghe said, “but I’ve got a tough one next match so I need to get ready for that. 
I’ve played Madison twice or so in a challenger or two, it’s a new thing to play her in a GS, I’ll be as ready as I can.”

No hay comentarios: