domingo, 26 de octubre de 2014

Serena Williams won her third straight WTA Finals title in Singapore 2014


Serena Williams won her third straight WTA Finals title with a dominant straight set win over Simona Halep in Singapore on Sunday. 


Four days after experiencing one of the heaviest defeats of her career, Serena Williams gained revenge in spectacular fashion, crushing Simona Halep, 6-3, 6-0, to win the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore.
 Williams has now won five times at the WTA's season-ending showpiece, a total bettered only by Martina Navratilova, and will once again finish the year as the World No.1. While her position at the top of the rankings was a mathematical certainty following Maria Sharapova's premature exit, the nature of her loss to Halep during the round robin left her with a score to settle and a point to prove. 



And she did this in emphatic fashion, overcoming a slow start to blow away Halep amid a whirlwind of winners. "She was playing so well at the beginning and I told myself to just relax and once I did that I started playing better and making my shots," Williams said.

 "I lost to her a couple of days ago so I knew she was capable of playing really well, but I knew I had to play better if I wanted to win. I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to play here and now I've won the Billie Jean King Trophy again - it's an amazing feeling.


" Early on, it looked like Halep could repeat her round robin heroics, negating her opponent's greater power, breaking for a 2-1 lead with a trademark down-the-line backhand. Williams, however, had other ideas, elevating her game and unleashing a series of withering returns to restore parity.

No hay comentarios: