jueves, 10 de abril de 2014

NEWS 10 APRIL 2014, BNP Paribas Katowice Open


The No.5-seeded Koukalova rallied from a set and a break down to beat Annika Beck in a few minutes shy of two hours, 46 63 61. From 1-0 down in the third she won six games in a row to close it out. "It took me a while to find my rhythm but Annika is a very tough opponent," Koukalova said of Beck, one of the tour's most promising rising stars. "She's just a few spots behind me in the rankings. "It was a tough match and I was very happy to improve my game in the third set." Koukalova is now the third player so far this year to reach 20 WTA-level match wins, after Li (who has 21) and Cibulkova (who has 20). Agnieszka Radwanska will try to reach 20 herself on Thursday. "It feels great - I didn't know that I've won 20 matches this year now," Koukalova said afterwards. "It's a positive thing that I've won so many matches this year. It definitely gives me a lot of confidence.
" There was only one more second round match in the day session and it saw Shahar Peer upset No.8 seed Tsvetana Pironkova, 62 61. It was an upset on paper but not if you look at the head-to-head - Peer had won four of the pair's last five meetings, including in the first round in Katowice last year. The other daytime matches were both first rounds, with No.7 seed Magdalena Rybarikova beating French qualifier Claire Feuerstein, 62 75, and Mirjana Lucic-Baroni beating Jovana Jaksic, 63 64.
Jaksic was coming off a breakthrough week, reaching the first WTA final of her career in Monterrey.

No hay comentarios: