miércoles, 12 de marzo de 2014

NEWS INDIAN WELLS TENNIS GARDEN, 12 MARCH 2014.


Since her victory over Caroline Wozniacki in the 2010 BNP Paribas Open final, Jelena Jankovic had lost five straight matches against the Dane. On Tuesday, she finally broke the streak as the two former champions reunited on center court at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. Tenth seed Wozniacki, with fiancé Rory McIlroy in attendance, made the better start as she rolled out to a 3-1 lead. The seventh-seeded Jankovic quickly countered and won 10 straight games to put the match out of reach. "I tried to play solid and aggressive at the same time, wait for the right shots, and then execute," said Jankovic. "I did that pretty well. At 3-1, I kind of found my way, found my rhythm, and I was striking the ball very well out there and took control of the points. 
 "I just did not let her play what she plays. That was very important. So I was pretty pleased with the way I played and how composed I stayed throughout the whole match." Wozniacki won the Indian Wells title in 2011 (d. Bartoli) and had reached the final for a third time last year (l. to Sharapova). 


 Jankovic advances to the Indian Wells quarter-finals for the first time since her 2010 triumph, and faces No. 2 seed Agnieszka Radwanska,who has won their past four meetings. Radwanska defeated No. 22 seed Alize Cornet of France 7-5, 6-3. The 25-year-old Pole will be looking to reach the semi-finals for a second time in Indian Wells. 
 Earlier Tuesday, World No. 7 Simona Halep overcame Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard 6-2, 1-6, 6-4 on Stadium 2 to become the first woman to reach the quarter-finals. The 18th-seeded Bouchard broke for a 4-3 lead in the decisive set, only to see Halep draw level in the next game. Halep earned another break in the final game to extend her best run in the desert and improve to a 5-0 record against Top 20 players this season. "It wasn't my best tennis today, but I was fighting a lot," said Halep. "I did well. I think I came back in the third set very well. I was more relaxed than the second set because I was very nervous at that time. "But everything I could I did today during the match, and I am really happy that I won because I know she's a great player and she's improving tournament by tournament." 
 Halep will next face Australian qualifier Casey Dellacqua, who gained safe passage into the quarter-finals when American Lauren Davis retired due to gastrointestinal illness.

No hay comentarios: