lunes, 10 de marzo de 2014

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI ADVANCES IN BNP PARIBAS OPEN. 10 MARCH 2014


Former champion Caroline Wozniacki came through a battle royale on Sunday at the BNP Paribas Open. The 10th seed, who beat Marion Bartoli for the 2011 title, defeated qualifier Yaroslava Shvedova 7-6(7), 3-6, 6-1 in two-and-a-half hours for a place in the fourth round at the WTA Premier-level event in Indian Wells. Shvedova, who had beaten Wozniacki in Madrid last year, had led 4-2 in the first set and also failed to convert two set point opportunities at 6-5 and 7-6 in the tie-break. She led 4-0 in the second set, before Wozniacki rallied to win three games. 
 “It was a very tough match,” said Wozniacki, who told reporters that her golfer boyfriend, Rory McIlroy, will arrive tonight. 
“I think playing her is always tricky and especially here because the ball bounces so high. Her serves were bouncing way over my head and I had a really tough time really getting into the rhythm at the start. “I managed to fight through and win that first set. I'm not sure how, but I guess just my running really got me through that. I started playing some pretty good tennis in the third set, but before then it was really just a battle and a scramble.” 
 Wozniacki will next play No. 7 seed Jelena Jankovic, whom she lost to in the 2010 Indian Wells final. Since that defeat, the Dane has gone undefeated against Jankovic, winning five straight matches. Jankovic beat No. 31 seed Magdalena Rybarikova 6-3, 6-2 in the night session, capitalizing on five of her seven break point chances for the one hour, 19-minute victory.

No hay comentarios: