miércoles, 16 de julio de 2014

NEWS 16 JULY 2014: WOZNIACKI, MLADENOVIC AND SVITO"LINDA" ADVANCES IN ISTANBUL 2014


After dropping the first set to Karin Knapp, Wozniacki cruised to a 5-0 lead in the second set and eventually won comfortably, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1. "She gave me a good fight today," Wozniacki said.

 "She was competing very well and serving very well. I was a bit low in energy, but I found a way to pull through and am happy that I did." The first time she won a match 6-0, 6-0, at New Haven in 2009, Wozniacki went on to capture the event, and the second time, at the US Open in 2010, she eventually reached the semifinals. A week after falling to Stefanie Voegele in straight sets in the second round of Bad Gastein, No.4 seed and WTA Rising Star Elina Svitolina converted on five of six break points in her 52-minute, 6-0, 6-3 second round triumph over the Swiss. 
 "I played really well today," Svitolina said. "I was putting a lot of pressure on her, and the game plan that my coach gave me worked really well. The conditions were not easy; it was really windy out there, but I am pleased with the way I handled everything after losing to her last week. I am really happy and confident right now." Kristina Mladenovic and Francesca Schiavone beat seeded opponents to set up a quarterfinal encounter against each other. Mladenovic broke serve five times and saved nine of 10 break points on her own serve in her 6-1, 6-3 triumph over third-seeded Klara Koukalova, in the process advancing to her first WTA quarterfinal since last September.

No hay comentarios: