martes, 8 de julio de 2014

Eugenie Bouchard in the highest-ranked Canadian in WTA history.


MONTRÉAL, Canada 
WTA Rising Star Eugenie Bouchard's run to her first Grand Slam final - the first time a Canadian has ever reached a Grand Slam final, male or female and all-time - has officially pushed her from No.13 to No.7 in the world, the highest-ranked Canadian in WTA history. Only one other Canadian had ever been in the Top 10 on the WTA Rankings - that would be Carling Bassett-Seguso, who went as high as No.8 in the world. But Bouchard's run at Wimbledon propelled her even higher, and with little to defend the rest of 2014, the sky's the limit for the 20-year-old.
"It's definitely been one of my goals - when I made Top 20, in the back of my mind I was like, 'Okay, the next step is Top 10,'" Bouchard said at Wimbledon. 
"And I'm happy to accomplish that, but there's still a lot more to do for me. I still have a long road ahead of me to improve as a tennis player. "If I do that well, hopefully the number will go up and the results will still come." After a busy last month or two, winning her first WTA title in Nürnberg, reaching the semifinals of the French Open, playing the grass court lead-up event in 's-Hertogenbosch and, of course, making the Wimbledon final, Bouchard is looking forward to heading back home and recharging the batteries. 
 "I'm just excited to spend a little time off with my family back home. I'm going to spend a lot of time on my couch. That's the first goal," the Canadian said. "Besides that, I'm very excited about the Rogers Cup. It's in Montréal once every two years, so the last time I played I just came off winning the Wimbledon juniors, which was good for me at the time, so it should be very exciting again this year.
"I don't get to play in front my home crowd too often, so I hope people will come out and watch."

No hay comentarios: