jueves, 31 de julio de 2014

NEWS bank of the west classic. RADWANSKA OUT. 31 JULY 2014


While the No.1-seeded Williams made it through to the quarterfinals, No.2 seed Agnieszka Radwanska wasn't as fortunate, succumbing to heavy-hitting lefty Varvara Lepchenko in a marathon, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4. 




 "The match was good, and very tight, but I don't think I served well enough today. It was the worst thing for me in the match and didn't help me at all," Radwanska said. "But overall I felt good on the court. Just the first match is always tricky, and she was a really tough opponent for the first round." Lepchenko's win over the World No.5 was the American's first ever win over a Top 5 player. The only other seed in action, No.8 seed Andrea Petkovic, was just too solid for Japanese qualifier Naomi Osaka, cruising to a 6-2, 6-2 win. Osaka had beaten Samantha Stosur in the first round. "She's so talented," Petkovic said. "The forehand is just off the chain, and her first serve also - I think she was serving at 120mph, and at age 16 too. I'm not even serving that hard now, and I'm 26. "But I remembered myself when I was 16. You have great shots, but you can lose your focus for a few games, and you make some wrong decisions because you just don't have that experience. I knew if I just played solid it would be tough for her. But I think we're going to be hearing a lot about her." The only other match saw American qualifier Sachia Vickery come back to beat Monica Puig, 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-1. The 19-year-old Vickery is now through to the first WTA quarterfinal of her blossoming career.

No hay comentarios: