domingo, 22 de junio de 2014

News: Marion Bartoli in the championships Wimbledon 2014,


Marion Bartoli appears at peace with her decision to retire from tennis, even on the return to the scene of her greatest triumph. 


 She arrived with a smile that has proven hard to shake for the past twelve months and a shoulder encased in coral blue support tape. In both body and mind, Marion Bartoli appears at peace with her decision to retire from tennis, even on the return to the scene of her greatest triumph. Bartoli intends to treasure the final two weeks of her reign as Ladies’ Singles champion.
She shed a tear as she collected her accreditation – the All England Club gamely issued her with a competitor’s pass – but the 29-year-old remains adamant that her playing days are now behind her. “Look at my shoulder,” she said after being asked if her return to the Championships might finally spark thoughts of a comeback. “Literally, I can't even lift my arm every morning.
It was the same last year, and didn't improve a year after, even without playing much tennis. So definitely no regrets at all.” Bartoli will watch from the Royal Box on Tuesday as Sabine Lisicki, last year’s beaten finalist, plays the first of the day’s matches on Centre Court, the honour reserved for the defending champion. 
A bittersweet moment, no doubt, but not one that the Frenchwoman intends to dwell on. Indeed, almost a year on from her shock decision to retire after a second-round exit in Cincinnati, one moment supersedes all other memories of her 13-year-career. “What I miss the most is probably the last five seconds of my final,” she said. “I'm about to serve and I serve and I ace – knowing it's an ace, and knowing I won Wimbledon, that's probably what I'm missing. “Do you believe in miracles? I think it was a miracle; I think it was truly a miracle.” Beyond that, Bartoli’s abiding memory is the pain of those final few years of her career. Her shoulder, most recently aggravated by an exhibition appearance last week, remains a constant reminder of the lengths to which she pushed herself to fulfill her “dream” of being crowned Grand Slam champion. Retirement arrived on her terms. 

No hay comentarios: