miércoles, 15 de enero de 2014

EUGENIE BOUCHARD IN PRESS CONFERENCE. 15 JANUARY 2014, AUSTRALIAN OPEN.


Q.  How exciting was to second set tiebreak?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Well, I hope it was exciting for you guys.  It was kind of crazy.  You know, it became just mental and I just had to fight.  I'm happy I pulled through in the end.  We had some crazy points.

Q.  In the tiebreak you were losing 8 9, but you made an incredible forehand shot.  Explain that moment.EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I don't even remember that.  Yeah, I mean, I was just in the moment, just trying to go for it.
She played some really good points, too, on my match points.  It was a battle back and forth.  I felt overall I didn't play as well as I know I can.
But, you know, even if it's a bit ugly, still fight and try.  Yeah, I'm happy I pulled through.

Q.  You lost your way a little bit at the beginning of the second set.  You must be happy how you came back.EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Yeah, she's a good player.  She can serve well, hit some really flat shots, change direction a lot.
I think she had me on my heel a little bit.  When I was down 4 1, I kind of relaxed, started playing my game.  It was a really big change after that.  I felt I played a lot better.

Q.  How do you feel about losing three match points in a row?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  It happens.  I wasn't even really disappointed on the court.
Two games earlier, she was up 40 Love, I won the game.  It happens.  People have lost matches from being ahead a lot.  I wasn't disappointed.  I was calm and I was confident, you know, if I played well I could get that chance again.

Q.  You're usually fairly businesslike at the net with a handshake.  That was a warm moment.  Do you have any history at all?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  No, I just thought because she was French they do the kissy thing.  I thought she maybe kind of wanted to.  I was hesitating.  I just kind of went for it (laughter).

Q.  Atmosphere pretty good on that court with your fan club?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Yeah, they're amazing.  I don't know where they came from, these Australian guys.  But they're really supportive.  They just come up with all these songs.  It's really cool.  I think it gets the rest of the crowd really involved, as well.
They better show up to my next match.

Q.  Pretty straight faced through it all.  I assume you hear it?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I do, in the back of my head, I hear it a bit.  But I really have to stay focused and wait till the end of the match to crack a smile.

Q.  Is that a present the fans game to you?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  Yes, gave me a little Koala.  They say themselves The Genie Army.  Reminder of who they are.  They're the Australian support.



Q.  Will you keep it?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I'll put it in my room somewhere, I think.

Q.  Quite a long time since a teenager won a Grand Slam.  A lot is talked about how difficult it is now for teenagers to do that.  Do you think things are starting to change?  There's a few of you coming through.EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I think it's still really tough.  There are some of us who are kind of breaking through a little bit.  We still have a lot of tough moments.  We have success, but we also have losses.
I think the older, experienced players are still really dominating right now.  But as time goes on, I think I'll do better.  I feel like I've gained experience in the past year.  Hopefully I can start doing better right away.

Q.  How does it differ playing someone you're expected to beat or being the underdog?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  For sure it's different now.  I came into this slam seeded now for the first time.  So, of course, my first few rounds I'm expected to win.  I always expect myself to do well.
I just try to ignore the outside expectations and pressure and really just focus on what I need to do.  At the end of the day, I really need to perform.  I can't really worry about what people say on the outside.

Q.  Lauren Davis or Georges, how do you feel?EUGENIE BOUCHARD:  I played Davis in the juniors.  Never place Georges.  It will be interesting to see.  They have different games.  Georges plays aggressive, hits hard.  Davis gets a lot of balls back, but she can move the ball with her forehand and backhand.
I don't know who is winning, but I'm looking forward to it and I'm just going to try my best and try to play better.

No hay comentarios: