lunes, 21 de junio de 2021

Kiki Bertens on Wednesday announced the 2021 season will be her last.

"I know the success that I have had, I don't know if that's going to come soon and that's not only because of the injury," Bertens told WTA Insider. "Life showed me there's something else. I think a lot of the girls who have had a longer career already probably felt the same way. I think it's easier when you're younger if you step away a little bit from the game and start competing again. 

"For me, if Covid didn't come maybe I could continue for two to three more years, I have no idea. But when you're in the rhythm of doing something, it's easy for me and I can just keep on going, no matter how long.

"That's why I could play 30 tournaments a year and go in week and week out and play singles and doubles and everything. But once you step away, your body has to get used to it again, it makes it tough. Now I enjoy home so much, so why do I have to go out there and struggle, struggle with my fitness level, of the injury and how I feel on court, if I could also be home and enjoying my time. It's just time for a new chapter and I'm looking forward to that"

No hay comentarios: