viernes, 5 de febrero de 2016

Germany in fed cup 2016. The best moments

LEIPZIG, GERMANY

Seven days after winning her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open, Angelique Kerber will take to the court at the Leipziger Messe for something of a homecoming on Saturday as Germany hosts Switzerland in a mouthwatering Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group first round clash.

Any fears that Germany captain Barbara Rittner may rest Kerber on the opening day were allayed as the new world No. 2 was nominated to take on Timea Bacsinszky in the second singles rubber, following the opening match between Andrea Petkovic and Belinda Bencic.

Kerber said: “I’m really excited to play after the win in Australia in front of the home crowd and it’s full. I will look forward to enjoying the atmosphere on court.

“Of course I have a little bit of jet lag still. I have had busy days but great days, just positive emotions. It’s the best feeling I’ve had in my career. It’s an honour for me to have such a warm welcome here.”

Kerber has indeed enjoyed a whirlwind few days since producing a stunning upset against Serena Williams last Saturday in Melbourne. After arriving back in Germany on Monday, Kerber’s press conference in Leipzig on Wednesday attracted more than 80 journalists from all over the country.

But now the 28-year-old is fully focused on her return to action against world No. 15 Bacsinszky on Saturday. The two have played just once before, more than six years ago at a $100k event in the Italian town of Ortesei with Bacsinszky coming out on top in straight sets.

Kerber said: “For sure it will be a tough challenge against her. She played very well last year, she had a few weeks in the top-10. I will just try to focus on my own game. I am really confident from the last few weeks and I will go out, try to play my game and try to beat her.”

No hay comentarios: