jueves, 14 de enero de 2016

Victoria azarenka in #australian #open2016 #previews

Azarenka had started the year at No.32 in the world, determined to return to the sharp end of the women’s game. She ended at No.22, deflated, but defiant. The determination remains.

"I had a lot of changes last year,” Azarenka said. “It took a little bit of time to regroup, reorganise, mature a little bit, understand how to organise yourself. I'm like a freak right now, I'm super-organised. Now I found what works for me, what makes me feel comfortable, calm, at peace. So it's good."

The tribulations of 2015 are now over – as is a trophy drought that stretched back, almost unthinkably, to August 2013. Victory at last week’s Brisbane International, the site of her first WTA title win in 2009, and for the loss of just 17 games, felt like a watershed moment.

“For me, it's like you're reading a book and you just turn the page," Azarenka said after beating Angelique Kerber in the final. "That part of it was over. You just flip the page. I think that's exciting. I can't wait to read the next page.”

Winning makes everything better. Now up to No.16 in the WTA rankings, Azarenka is moving in the right direction on court, thanks in large part to an off-season spent re-learning exactlyhow to move. Coping with the lingering pain of her injury had led to compensatory inefficiencies in her footwork that had to be forgotten.

She also arrives with her team in place. The shock split with long-time coach Sam Sumyk shortly after Australian Open 2015 led Azarenka to team up with coach Wim Fissette and trainer Sascha Bajin, a partnership that is now firmly embedded after a tough training block.

Then there’s her attitude. After her victory in Brisbane, Azarenka invited a young fan to join her. Spotted earlier in the week cheering for her hero, nine-year-old Stephanie Taylor earned herself an invite to Azarenka’s box for the final and, wearing Azarenka’s headband, held the trophy during the presentation ceremony.

It was a touching gesture and, at its heart, fun – something Azarenka has worked hard to reconnect with on court. Winning is not her central focus in 2016 – instead it is about working to improve, and allowing the wins to follow.

"I wanted to win the title, but I didn't feel, 'If this doesn't happen the world is going to end,'" Azarenka admitted in Brisbane. "I just feel really excited and happy that I'm doing the right things. I'm excited to keep working hard. Just gives extra motivation to keep working hard and achieve better things. When you're on the right direction, I think it's kind of cool."

No hay comentarios: