jueves, 7 de enero de 2016

Victoria Azarenka advances to semis in Brisbane 2016

Azarenka put No.8 seed Vinci to the sword in similarly ruthless fashion, running out a 6-1, 6-2 winner.

Azarenka set her stall out on the opening point, arrowing a backhand return into the corner. The break swiftly followed and while she was unable to hold onto this for long, she was soon ahead once more thanks to a fizzing double-handed winner.

Twenty minutes later she swatted another backhand away to take the set. In the second, it was the forehand that came to the fore, a brilliant stretching passing shot and a crisp down-the-line winner creating the vital breakthrough in the sixth game.

"I'm pretty pleased with tonight," Azarenka said. "Thank you for the full crowd - you guys make me play much better, that's for sure!

"I feel like I was really focused from the beginning and I knew she wasn't going to give anything away so I had to take control and really dictate the play. I'm glad I stayed strong and focused in the difficult situations and really fought for every point."

No hay comentarios: