domingo, 12 de abril de 2015

Anna Karolina Schmiedlova captured the first WTA title in Katowice. katowice open 2015


After putting on an inspired performance to beat No.1 seed Agnieszka Radwanska in the semifinals, Giorgi, the No.3 seed, was touted by many as the new title favorite. 
And after breaking Schmiedlova easily in the opening game and going up 30-15 in the next game, it looked like a solid prediction. 
But the No.8-seeded Schmiedlova, who had taken out No.2 seed and defending champion Alizé Cornet earlier in the tournament, was having none of it - she won the next four games in a row en route to taking the first set, then battled back from 3-1 down in the second set to finish Giorgi off, 6-4, 6-3.
"I started out nervous today. I lost my serve straight off in the first game. But then it was better," Schmiedlova said. "I wasn't nervous after that and was just taking it point by point. Usually I don't like playing aggressive players like her as much, because I can't play as aggressively as them and I feel like I'm always defending, but I did very well. It was maybe one of the best matches I've played. "It's something special. I still can't believe it - it will take a long time for me to believe it."

No hay comentarios: