lunes, 23 de marzo de 2015

SIMONA HALEP CONQUERS INDIAN WELLS 2015. BNP PARIBAS OPEN


It only makes sense that Simona Halep would have to go three sets to win her first BNP Paribas Open title. Overcoming an apparent foot injury, a faulty serve and a former champion, Halep rallied from a set down to defeat 2010 winner Jelena Jankovic 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 in a gutsy performance.


“I don't know how I won today because I didn't play my best,” said a beaming Halep. “I didn't play good tennis, but I just wanted to fight till the end because I think that is the most important thing for my style, for myself.”


Halep had a grueling run to the finals, needing to go three sets to beat Daria Gavrilova in the second round, Varvara Lepchenko in the third round and Carla Suarez Navarro in the quarterfinals. She did appear to get a break in the semifinal when No. 1 Serena Williams withdrew because of a knee injury. But Halep struggled with a left toe injury and had the trainer look at it before the second set. Several times in the second set, Halep would be bent over with her hands on her knees, apparently trying to deal with pain.

“I was tired a little bit and I had blisters only, so it's not that bad,” Halep said. “But still it's bothering you during the match, during the running. In the second set, I think in the end of the second set I had muscle problems. I don't remember very well.
“But I didn't think about anything. I just wanted to fight and to get like to win every ball. Just this was in my mind.”

No hay comentarios: