sábado, 17 de enero de 2015

Heather Watson has won the Hobart International 2015



Watson, who was unseeded in the draw, didn't lose a set all week, not even against the three seeded players she had to take out en route to the final - No.5 seed Sloane Stephens, No.9 seed Roberta Vinci and No.8 seed Alison Riske. 

Against Brengle, who actually came out of the qualies, she fought off 12 of the 14 break points she faced and won her last seven service games to prevail, 6-3, 6-4. "I'm obviously very happy," Watson said. "It was tough conditions again today, very windy. And I knew Madison would be tough - we know each other very well on and off the court, and we practice a lot in Florida. I knew it would be a tough one today. And it really was my toughest match of the week. "I was happy I stayed mentally strong and managed to get ahead and hold my nerve at the end." It was even sweeter given the last few years since her breakthrough 2012 season. Watson has had lengthy struggles with illness and has had to work hard to work her way back to the upper echelon. "When I won Osaka in 2012, it was more of a surprise, kind of," Watson added. "But here, I feel like I belong."

No hay comentarios: