viernes, 12 de septiembre de 2014

SERENA WILLIAMS: WTA Player Of The Month. September 2014


It was a historic month for Serena Williams. The World No.1 captured her maiden Western & Southern Open title. Defeating four Top 20 players including Flavia Pennetta, Jelena Jankovic, Caroline Wozniacki and Ana Ivanovic in the final. 

Williams then entered the US Open with her eyes on a third consecutive US Open crown and 18th Grand Slam title. She stormed though the competition and did not drop a set en route to the title. Defeating Caroline Wozniacki in the final, Williams tied Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova's record of winning 18 Grand Slam titles. For that reason, Williams has been named August's WTA Player Of The Month presented by Wilson. 

What were her thoughts on tying Evert and Navratilova's 18 Grand Slam titles? "It means a lot to me. I never could have imagined that I would be mentioned with Chris Evert or Martina Navratilova, because I was just a kid with a dream and a racquet. Living in Compton, this never happened before. I never could have imagined I would get this far. And then it was eluding me for three Grand Slam tournaments this year. 
That's a lot for me, I guess. I'm just really excited to get it.
" Williams used her new Wilson X-Blade racquet all US Open Summer Series - get to know her racquet a little better here Williams also became the first player to qualify for the year-ending BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global following her US Open semifinal victory. 

Final Results for August's WTA Player of the Month presented by Wilson:
1. Serena Williams (62%) 
2. Caroline Wozniacki (27%) 
3. Agnieszka Radwanska (11%)

No hay comentarios: