sábado, 31 de mayo de 2014

Simona Halep darted into the fourth round at Roland Garros 2014.


Simona Halep darted into the fourth round at Roland Garros 2014 with a doughty demolition of the world No.55 Maria Teresa Torro-Flor. 


With warm sunshine at last flooding the courts, Halep would not allow the Spaniard an opening, even when her own service repeatedly came under threat throughout the second set. Halep emerged the 6-3, 6-0 winner in 61 minutes, and she will meet the American Sloane Stephens for a place in the last eight.
“This is the third match where I have played really great tennis,” said Halep, now the highest-ranked woman left in the draw. “It's not a surprise because I'm more confident in myself, and I’m feeling the ball really well here. I love this tournament. I love to be here. It’s a surprise that the first three seeds lost and not easy to be the highest one left, or to play Sloane. I played her in Australia a couple of seasons ago and she beat me very fast. Now I think I’m more prepared than I was then. I have confidence I can take revenge.”
Torro-Flor cites Juan Carlos Ferrero as her hero growing up – and the 2003 French Open champion watched this match on No.2 Court, chatting to the 1994 Wimbledon champion Conchita Martinez alongside him. But the presence of her illustrious compatriots could not help the 22-year-old. She had a good win over No.30 seed Klara Koukalova round but could not take her chances against Halep, of which there were eight (in the form of break points) in the second set.

She came under attack from the start, fending off a break point in the opening game. At 2-2 she saved another with a powerful forehand down the line – her favourite shot on her favourite surface – but Halep forced a second and a third, whereupon Torro-Flor delivered a backhand into the net. Halep was chipping away at her, emphasising her authority with a hold to love. Torro-Flor did not fold, saving two more break points at 2-4, but she could not get a foothold with any break points of her own, and Halep punched away a volley to take the set 6-3.

No hay comentarios: