sábado, 19 de abril de 2014

VENUS WILLIAMS WTA BLOG. Venus Williams' faith never once waivered


Despite the illnesses, injuries, painful defeats and drop down the rankings, Venus Williams' faith never once waivered. And a few months ago in Dubai, everything came together for her as she cruised to the 45th title of her brilliant career without dropping a set. 
Victory ended a 17-month trophyless spell for the American and sent her skyrocketing up the rankings. Dubai was Williams' first Premier title since 2010, but during this barren spell - caused in no small part by her well-publicized battle with Sjögren's syndrome - she never contemplated walking away from the sport that she loves.


"I love tennis. I'm still young. You can't do it forever, so while I can, I'm going to. When I can't, I'm not going to," Williams said. "You know, I'm not doing it because I love to be in the paper. No, I play tennis because I feel like I'm good at it. I know I'm good at it. I have to keep giving myself a chance and just keep going forward.
" This positive mindset is all the more admirable in light of the seven-time Grand Slam champion's recent travails. In 2011, Williams was force to sit out most of the season, laid low by a serious hip injury and then a viral illness - later diagnosed as the autoimmune disease, Sjögren's syndrome. On her return, progress was frustratingly slow, with each tentative step forward followed by a setback of some description.

No hay comentarios: