jueves, 24 de abril de 2014

Ana Ivanovic rebounded from a first set blowout to beat Julia Goerges in three sets in Porsche Tennis Grand Prix 2014


 Ivanovic and Goerges have had somewhat opposite seasons so far, Ivanovic getting off to a fantastic start with WTA titles at Auckland and Monterrey and moving back up to No.12 in the world, but Goerges coming into Stuttgart an even 9-9 on the year and slipping all the way down to No.94. And the head-to-head didn't help Goerges any. Ivanovic had won four of their five previous meetings, and though Goerges has had a lot of success on clay - she actually won this tournament in 2011 - Ivanovic has triumphed at the biggest clay court tournament of them all, the French Open, in 2008.

 After that lopsided first set with Goerges' +6 differential (13 to 7) and Ivanovic's -1 differential (5 to 6), Ivanovic's numbers tidied up in a big way. The Serb put together a +9 differential of winners to unforced errors across the second and third sets (20 to 11) while Goerges was a subpar -8 (17 to 25). 

  "Julia is a very good player and very streaky - she started off so well," Ivanovic said. "I didn't feel I did many things wrong in that first set, she was just playing very well. I don't think she had any unforced errors, to be honest, and she had a lot of winners. But I knew I had to stay positive and calm. "I waited for my moment and turned it around early in the second set. I played a really good game to break her and then managed to hold my serve, and that set the tone a little bit in the second set. After that a few errors started creeping into her game and I think I used that to my advantage really well. I used that momentum and in the third set I just kept going, staying aggressive and taking risks."

No hay comentarios: