domingo, 5 de enero de 2014

ANA IVANOVIC WIN ASB CLASSIC 2014


ANA IVANOVIC_VENUS WILLIAMS 62 57 64

Ana Ivanovic lifted the 12th WTA title of her career after edging out Venus Williams 6-2 5-7 6-4 to win the ASB Classic in Auckland. In a battle between former world No. 1's and previous grand slam champions, it was Ivanovic who came out on top, after storming to the opening set by taking five games on the spin. However, Williams fought back after being 5-3 behind in the second set and one game away from defeat. 


The American won four games in a row to take the second set to force a decider. Ivanovic though broke to love right at the beginning of the final set, and was able to fend off break-back points to eventually seal victory. "It's amazing. Coming into this week I didn't really have any expectations. I didn't even think about making the finals or winning it. I just tried my best, and I felt very comfortable here," Ivanovic said.


 "Today was a great match. Venus is always very tough - she's a great champion and showed that again today. I'm just happy that after losing that second set I managed to stay calm and close it out." Williams was complimentary towards her opponent, saying: "Today for me it was all about fighting, because I didn't feel I was playing my best. I fought as hard as I could no matter what the score was, but I just ran into a better player today."

No hay comentarios: