jueves, 5 de diciembre de 2013

Jovana Jaksic has dominated at the ITF level and has tasted success at the WTA level too


Every day through Friday this week, wtatennis.com will showcase Young Guns, those who showed signs of future stardom in 2013. 

 Jovana Jaksic has been a dominant force on the ITF Women's Circuit for a couple of years and this year started to make inroads at the WTA level. And it would surprise few if the 5-foot-11 20-year-old became the latest success story in Serbian tennis. "We're a really talented nation in sports," Jaksic said. "It's not just tennis - all sports. 
I'm really happy about it and I look forward to seeing many more Serbian players getting to the top. We're always fighting until the last moment.
" Here is some evidence from the 2013 season that Jaksic qualifies as a Young Gun and could very well follow in the footsteps of countrywomen Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic in achieving stardom: • Jaksic won three qualifying matches and the first round of the main draw at her WTA debut in Monterrey in April before falling to World No.12 Maria Kirilenko in three sets.

 • Jaksic won five ITF Women's Circuit titles, and during a stretch from February to April won or got to the final at six out of seven ITF events.
 • Jaksic recorded by far the best win of her career at an ITF Women's Circuit event in Sharm El-Sheikh in November with a defeat of No.30 Kaia Kanepi. 
• Jaksic soared 253 spots from her 2012 year-end ranking to her 2013 year-end ranking and rose to a career-high No.151 this week. And another ranking jump may very well be in the cards for Jaksic next year. "I'm just trying to be the best player I can be," Jaksic said. "I'm working very hard. I can't really say I have a goal for my ranking yet.
 I'm just starting at the WTA level, so I'm just trying to improve and we'll see."

source: wta official

No hay comentarios: